Unrivaled expertise in welding
Fives’ Piping Solutions offer in high-tech welding is renowned worldwide. Fives' Piping business line constantly develops new high-performance welding processes for all types of metal and also emphasizes on training to maintain its employees' qualifications and skills.
A qualified partner
Fives’ Piping Solutions business line develops innovative welding processes for its customers that meet their special requirements. Some recent developments by our R&D teams:
- automatic welding for valves located in high-radiation zones,
- repairing blades in primary heat pumps,
- TIG orbital narrow gap welding
Fives, through its Piping Solutions business line, hires 160 employees certified in welding who can work on over 2,000 Welding Process Specifications (WPS) and qualify for the standard international industrial codes (EN, ISO, RCC-M, RSE-M, ASME, AD-MERKBLATT, etc.).
These WPSs cover a wide range of metal alloy grades: all low-alloy steels, high-alloy steels, P91 and P92 martensitic steels for thermal plants, ferrite/austenitic/austenitic-ferrite (dual-phase grade) stainless steels, nickel alloys, aluminum alloys, copper alloys and titanium alloys.
Resources that generate excellence
In an ongoing effort to maintain our employees' qualifications and skills, the business line has two training centers in manual and automated welding at our facilities in Nancy and Cherbourg, France.
The business line also has an industrial site in Nancy, a division specifically focused on development. This division features a modular floor design that can be moved around to simulate real-life environments and machinery footprints.
Fives through its Piping Solutions business line, has worked on nuclear contracts for new EPRs and next-generation thermal plants to provide:
- the primary piping systems for EPR Olkiluoto 3, Flamanville 3, Taishan 1 and 2 for Areva
- piping systems and onsite installation of the test loop for the Areva JSPM EPR primary motor-driven pump units
- Inconel 82 buttering and butt-joining for containment openings in the EPR Flamanville 3 reactor building
- high-pressure piping systems for next-generation thermal plants